Troubleshooting and diagnosing backup issues can be complex. The below information is designed to help provide a list of basic information needed to troubleshoot and isolate the issue.
Information Needed to Diagnose Backup Issues.
- Preliminary Requirements
- Ensure you are running the latest recorder software and OS image.
- Suggest that you start with a reboot of the system to ensure cache and temporary files are cleared.
- This can happen if the OS locks files.
- Where are you trying to export video to?
- Cloud Export
- Locally to PC with Client software
- On the Recorder
- Using Video Player?
- Using Thin Client?
- Using Command Station?
- Using Console?
- Single Camera
- Multiple Camera
- Connection Method (If Applicable)
- Local LAN
- Console (on Recorder)
Common Troubleshooting Steps and Causes
(These will help narrow down the issue and provide guidance based off answer)
- Upgrade to latest OS image and Apex software
- Check DNS speeds and try a public DNS server.
- DNS resolution is required for backup process to function.
- Try using 220.127.116.11 to see in problem is resolved.
- DNS Troubleshooting.
- Check network connection to OWS servers.
- If exporting a long video fails, test if a shorter length successfully completes.
- This can help rule out bandwidth or other issues.
- Ensure storage location has adequate space.
- Verify above "Check network connection to OWS servers" topic.
- Try using a different Client to export the video
- Example: If Command Station is failing, try Cloud Video Player.
- Ensure all software is updated.
- Check client connection method to OWS. One client may be using a different connection method (Relay, LSF, Direct, etc..) helping point to the issue.
- If exporting multiple channels, see if a single channel export succeeds.
- Check to ensure adequate storage space is available
- Check availability of video by verifying it exists in Search.
- Try exporting from a local LAN connection to rule out internet speeds.
- Check to ensure adequate bandwidth is available
- Try exporting to a different save location.
- This can help identify storage space or HDD issues.
- If an export type of Mobile fails, test using Original. This can be swapped as well.
- Different export types can perform different options like downscaling or adding OSD.
- Try disabling audio in the export to see if this is causing issues.
- Check to verify that Search shows the video and stream you are attempting to export.
- Exports can fail if the video being requested is not available.