Users and User Groups can be accessed by clicking Management and selecting Users or User Groups from the dropdown menu.
- Set up User Groups based on job description and level of access to manage Users. Create as many groups as you need to align with operations.
- Configure permissions for your User Groups before adding Users. This workflow ensures you’ve added the proper permissions for the group.
- Create a test User account and add it to a User Group to test if the group permissions function as expected.
- Never set up all Users as Administrators. Granting too many permissions can cause more issues and extra support work.
OWS employs User Groups to make it easy to make changes, streamline setup and ensure that no one gets left out of updates or changes. Users in a User Group will have access to all permissions enabled in the User Group settings.
User Groups created at a Channel Partner level will have permissions pertaining to the Customer Accounts controlled by the Channel Partner. User Groups created at the Customer Account level will have permissions pertaining to access and management of recorders and cameras.
Channel Partner accounts have an Administrator User Group created by default. These default groups cannot be edited, and it will be necessary to create a new User Group to customize permissions. To view and make changes to a User Group (other than a default one), click Edit next to the desired User Group, or Create a New User Group.
Creating a new User Group
1. Under the Management tab, select User Groups in the dropdown menu.
2. Click Add New User Group.
3. Enter a User Group Name and a Description.
4. Click Create when finished.
Select Channel Partner User Group Permissions
Once the User Group is created, click Edit to select the User Group Permissions. Follow the instructions here.
Add Users to User Group
Add Users to the new group by clicking Add User and checking the box next to each name to be included. Remove users by clicking the X next to their names. Alternatively, check the box labeled Automatically include all users in this User Group to include everyone; adding users to a group in this manner automatically includes future users.
Adding new Channel Partner Users
It is recommended to first create the User Groups, aligning to your business's operations and selecting the permissions each group would require, and then create new Users and add them to those groups.
Add new Channel Partner Users to your Channel Partner Account
1. Under the Management tab, select Users in the dropdown menu.
2. Click Add New User.
3. Enter a Name and Email.
4. Select the User Groups to which this User should belong; (the User Groups should already be created).
5. Click Add New User when finished.