LAN Smart Forwarding
To optimize local connections, OWS utilizes a feature called LAN Smart Forward (LSF). This feature detects if the client machine is behind the same external IP address as the recorder, automatically switching from a cloud relay connection to a direct connection. This ensures that the fastest connection is being used, even if the recorder is initially accessed through the internet.
- The following conditions are required for LAN Smart Forwarding:
- Both client and recorder use the same external IP address, or IP addresses within an acceptable range.
Note: LAN Smart Forwarding is enabled by default in OWS.
Direct Connection via Port Forwarding
With port forwarding, traffic bypasses the OWS cloud web services, allowing for optimal connection speeds. Additional setup is required, however, because the routers need to be configured to forward traffic to the correct recorder.
Note: Visit http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ for instructions on how to open ports on a particular router.
- Add the recorder to OWS using the registration code following the instructions here.
- Access the router used for internet communication and forward TCP port 80 to the internal address of the recorder.
- Within the OWS customer portal, click Recorder Management, and then click Edit in the row of the desired recorder.
- Click Remote Network Settings, and then enter the external IP or DNS entry for the router in the IP Address or Domain field, and 80 in the Port field.
Note: Port 80 is the default port.
- Click Save.
Enabling LAN Smart Forwarding
- Within the customer or end user portal, Click Recorders under the Recorder Management dropdown menu.
- Click Edit next to the desired recorder.
- Click the Remote Network Settings tab.
- Set LAN Smart Forwarding to ON.
Note: If the recorder and client machines have different external IP addresses, enter the IP range in which the client and recorder reside.
Enable Domain Redirect
- Click Enable Domain Redirect.
- Enter the Domain Redirect Target name in the first field.
- Enter the Port number in the second field.
- Click Save.